Monday, March 19, 2007

Meiji 99% Cacao

So against the advice of 2 chocolate experts, I decided to lay may hands on the powerful meiji 99% cacao for the first time ever. Yeah I've tinkering to buy the bar for a long long time eventhough the chocolate experts said it's a big no no.


oohhh, yeah. Mmm, looks smooth and I think I'm up to challenge. From surface test, it passed the benchmark quite ok. Although not as smooth as lindt, Japanese chocolate does not famous for it's surface test.


So ceremoniously I broke a piece and let it melt in my mouth. But instead of mmmmm, what come out of me is a resounding ommmpphhhttt... what the...? It tastes awfully bitter and I can't even get a hint of neither flavor or aroma of chocolate from the bar. As curiousity goes, I take a look on the ingredient list and guess what...

Yupe. Something missing. There's not a single atom of sugar contained in this bar. I've known sugar free chocolate but this is simply nuts! I wonder what lunatics in Meiji would think about making such bar. D'uuuh, I'll be selling all my stocks in Meiji if I do have one.

But I already got one and I can't simply just throw it away or else my girlfriend will laugh at me with the "told you..." smug on her face. (Yes, you will sweetheart. Just admit it.)

So let's get creative. How would we get the aroma out of something? Simple. Heat it. the vapor will intensify the chocolate aroma out of the bar. And how would we get something nice from such bitterness? Remember, eventhough it's bitter, it's still chocolate. It has all the property of normal chocolate bar except sweetness.

Now what I did is simply put the bar in a cup of water. Microwave it and... make a chocolate drink! After I got the melted bar on hot water, I just scoop my Cadbury hot chocolate drink powder. And there you go. You'll get yourself an extra-"powderful" yummy frothy chocolate drink. It's intensely chocolate and you can still taste the bitterness, but it become an excellent additive to my usual chocolate drink. mmm.

So let me end up this posting with a modified adage: When life gives you bitter chocolate, just make chocolate drink!

Happy Chocolating

Cons

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The label says 99%... and you're surprised it didn't contain any sugar?

http://www.emailcashpro.com